Our founder and director, Barbara d’Amato began her career in midwifery in 1978 attending home births in her local community.
When Barbara became a nurse-midwife, she began plans to create her own birth center. In 1987 her vision became a reality when Valley Birthplace opened its doors.
Since 1992, Barbara has served women and their families in our community and surrounding areas. She has a loving and growing family with her husband Kevin, eleven children and fourteen grandchildren. In her spare time Barbara loves horseback riding and gardening.
Education & Certifications
- Bachelor of Science, Biology and Pre-medicine from Temple University, Philadelphia, PA (1972)
- Bachelors of Science, Nursing (RN) from University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA (1984)
- Masters in Science, Nurse Midwifery from University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA (1986)
- Certified Nurse Midwife, American Midwifery Certification Board (1986)
- Current Ongoing Certifications: CPR, Neonatal Resuscitation, Limited Ultrasound, and Surgical First Assistant & Wound Closure
- Started private practice upon graduation from nurse-midwifery school.
- Director of Midwifery Services at Franklin Maternity Hospital in Philadelphia (1986-1988)
- Set up midwifery services in several hospitals in Pennsylvania (1989-1993)
- First midwife attended birth in City Avenue Hospital of the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine.
- Helped City Avenue Hospital of the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine design and develop their in-hospital birthing suites.
Clinical Teaching Affiliations
- Philadelphia University, Institute of Midwifery, Women and Health, Philadelphia, PA, Clinical Instructor, Community-based Midwifery Program (1997 to present)
- University of Pennsylvania, Graduate School of Nursing, Philadelphia, PA, Clinical Instructor, Nurse-Midwifery Program (1987 to present)
- Frontier Nursing University, Clinical Instructor, Community-based Nurse-Midwifery Program
- University of Medicine and Dentistry New Jersey, Clinical Instructor, Nurse-Midwifery Program
- American College of Nurse-Midwives (ACNM), member since 1986
- American Association of Birth Centers, member since 1987
- Pennsylvania Association of Licensed Midwives (PALM)
- Sigma Theta Tau, Xi Chapter (Nurses Honor Society)
- Speaker on topics related to childbirth and reproductive health to local high school (1982-1998)
- Womancare (formerly NE Philadelphia Maternity Care Advocates): Member of task force formed to find a solution to the current maternity care crisis in Philadelphia
- Volunteer speaker providing seminars on prenatal education and women’s health issues to employees at worksites and community based organizations
- Bryn Athyn College, Bryn Athyn, PA, Student Cooperative Work Program: Provide work experience to students interested in pursuing a career in health care